Much ado about scripting, Linux & Eclipse: card subject to change

2006-11-18

Notes 7 + SimplyMEPIS 6 = one sweet lappy

Well, I've finally got my Thinkpad set up just the way I like it: running the latest SimplyMEPIS 6, KDE 3.5.3, and kernel 2.6.15-27-686. Goodbye, Windows! After a couple days of pain, I managed to not only get Notes 7 working through the IBM Lotus Workplace client (aka a bloated Eclipse RCP app), and annoyed at having to search in several places for instructions and packages, I've written an interactive installer script. Instead of being a recipe for what to do, it does it all for you! The script should work for any ubuntu-based distro, but you might have things missing from your etc/apt/sources.list, like the multiverse stuff. Anyway, it's bound to be hella easier to use than the old manual trial and error method. Drop me a line if you use it and it works for you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad the referenced site (ltc.linux.ibm.com) is NOT available...

~$ nslookup ltc.linux.ibm.com 4.2.2.1
Server: 4.2.2.1
Address: 4.2.2.1#53

** server can't find ltc.linux.ibm.com: NXDOMAIN

Script doesn't work for me, as I do not have rpm's under .rpm, which apparently is a fatal error...

nickb said...

ltc.linux.ibm.com is an internal IBM server, unfortunately. I can only provide you with a HOWTO, not the actual binaries (for obvious legal reasons). For that you'll have to purchase a license and/or code from IBM/Lotus.

As to the rpm thing, you can comment out that section and do the other steps, but without the Lotus Workplace rpms, you won't get very far, unfortunately.