Much ado about scripting, Linux & Eclipse: card subject to change


Update Site Aggregation: B3 vs. Tycho

Last year, I used to aggregate update sites with the Buckminster Aggregator, but since that won't install into Eclipse 3.6 (Helios), I had to migrate to the B3 Aggregator. This new version of the Aggregator is greatly expanded and worked fine until recently, when it has begun to suffer from a rather nasty p2 problem: instead of the Director just installing the aggregator into an Eclipse instance prior to then running the aggregation, I get "The copies of profile SDKProfile are not in sync," and the whole process dies.

So, in order to find a workaround, I went back to Tycho, and discovered you can merge update sites with little more than two simple files:

  • a site.xml, which lists the features to aggregate and how to categorize them, and
  • a pom.xml to list the source sites and drive the aggregation.

Unfortunately the Tycho solution doesn't include the ability to add associate sites to the metadata after generation, but that can simply be done as a downstream step (Tycho can call Ant using the maven-antrun-plugin).


David Carver said...

Okay this makes sense...and in general seems way simplier than some other methods I had tried in the past.