After taking a break from reading the Planet this past week, tonight I discovered several p2-bashing posts. Now, I admit, in December I had some less-than-positive things to say about p2, but that was over 5 months ago. It's been evolving rapidly ever since, and has one of the most responsive dev teams I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Some statistics, to prove my point:
- 695 resolved Equinox.p2 bugs; 472 open Equinox.p2 bugs. Closure rate: 60%. Given the oldest changed bug is in February, that's over 200 features and work items a month for the past 3 months! (A bug is not always a problem. I use bugs as TODOs, thanks to the wonderful workflow integration provided by Mylyn. But I digress.)
- Of the 20 Equinox.p2 bugs I've opened; only 5 remain. Closure rate: 75%.
- Of the 39 Equinox.p2 bugs I've opened, commented on, or am watching; only 8 remain. Closure rate: 80%.
- Articles in the Eclipse Wiki related to p2: at least 46
- Time required to go from knowing nothing about p2 metadata to having it enabled for all the Modeling projects' update sites and integrated into automated promote scripts: about 2 hrs
- (Recently) active committers for the whole Equinox project: 14
- Lines of code committed in Equinox project in the past year: 378,000
- Number of commits in Equinox project in the past year: 28,000
Bottom line? Ask (early) and ye shall receive. Wait to complain when there's no time left in the cycle, and ye shall be disappointed. This is open source, people. You get back what you put in.