Much ado about scripting, Linux & Eclipse: card subject to change

2007-04-15

My new toy

Decided to make the switch from my crazy-old cellphone to a new one this week, and it arrived yesterday to the usual chorus of barking at the front door.

I'm now the proud owner of a Sony Ericsson W810i, complete w/ 1G of storage for MP3s. Very cool phone; better than my nearly-dead 256M K-BYTE MP3 player. I've only made one actual call on it so far, and the fact that it doesn't come with an actual audio-in jack (2.5 or 3.5mm) is a bit of a turn-off, but it works great for games and music, and sports a 2MP still and video camera.

The first app I had to install was of course Gmail. Being a linux geek, the second was MidpSSH which worked fantastically within a couple minutes (except when I wanted to use an ssh key instead of user/password login, and discovered that OpenSSH doesn't appear to support DSS.) Actually, it was user error. I had MidpSSH configured to use SSH1, not SSH2, so it wasn't even trying to send the key. Anyway, re-RTFM a few hours later solved the problem. I can now ssh to my home machine from my phone! Config steps:

  1. Configure SSH settings to prefer SSH2 and to use Public Keys
  2. Create a session, configured to use your Public Key
  3. Copy your phone's public key to your destination host's ~/.ssh/authorized_hosts file
  4. If necessary, enable debug mode on the destination host's sshd instance by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config and setting LogLevel DEBUG, then restarting the daemon with /etc/init.d/ssh restart
  5. Connect!

1 comments:

Pete Gross said...

I've been trying to get this to work too. I haven't had much luck. I am actually seeing a screen that says:

Session Error
Writer:
java.lang.SecurityException


I have done as you posted with the configuration of MidpSSH. Though, I want to use a username/password. I have it set to use SSH2 and it doesn't work, I think it is due to that error I posted above. have you seen this issue?

Please let me know, my email address is:
pete AT onefortyfour.org


Thanks.
Pete