Ever had one of those days where nothing seems to work? Most of June's been that way for me...
This week I decided to trust my OS and let Fedora update me automatically to the latest release, Fedora 11. I've never tried a distribution upgrade; in the past I've only ever done a clean install (be it Windows, Ubuntu, MEPIS, AntiX, or Fedora). But I figured if @dougschaefer could do it, so could I.
It was fairly smooth sailing, though the handy gui tool
preupgrade only downloaded packages but didn't do the upgrade, so on reboot (still in F10) I had to run
preupgrade-cli "Fedora 11 (Leonidas)". I suspect I must have fatfingered my hard drive password when I rebooted he first time because it worked like a charm the second time. Overall, way more successful than attempts so far to make a Mac Pro get Fedora'd, thatsfersure (grub, video, and network card issues, to name but a few).
Anyway, now I have updated versions of subversion and python, and as a result, my Subversive projects in Eclipse don't work. After much cursing and experimenting (and updating my CollabNet Subversion version to 1.6.3, the solution seems to be simply this:
Check out the projects anew within Eclipse, and if necessary, diff local changes from old project to new project.
But, if the project is too big (jbosstools trunk folder is over 1.1G) you may get a heap error. You can check the whole project out via commandline, but Eclipse (or Subversive? or Mylyn?) uses too much memory and the whole thing dies, despite my running Eclipse w/ a half-gig of heap:
/home/nboldt/eclipse/eclipse/eclipse -clean \ -showLocation -data /home/nboldt/eclipse/workspace-jboss \ -vmargs -Djava.library.path=/opt/CollabNet_Subversion/lib \ -Xmx512M -XX:PermSize=512M
In this case, the solution is to check out the project without recursing into folders.
Commandline on in the Console view, that looks like this:
svn checkout "https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk@HEAD" -r \ HEAD --depth empty "/home/nboldt/eclipse/workspace-jboss/jbosstools-trunk"
You can then copy stuff you already checked out into the new target project, then refresh the project in Eclipse. Of course in my case Eclipse then thought all the files were new, so I had to Override and Update from the repo.
So, unfortunately, I haven't been able to enjoy any of the 33 projects in this years' Eclipse Galileo release, unlike others on the Planet and the BirdsNest have. Hopefully next month will see calmer seas.
On the plus side now that I'm running Fedora 11, I can use Delta RPMs thanks to the
yum-presto plugin... so next month's bill should be much, much smaller.